(Soul Charmer #1)
Release: May 2, 2017
Callie Delgado always puts family first, and unfortunately her brother knows it. She’s emptied her savings, lost work, and spilled countless tears trying to keep him out of trouble, but now he’s in deeper than ever, and his debt is on Callie’s head. She’s given a choice: do some dirty work for the mob, or have her brother returned to her in tiny pieces.
Renting souls is big business for the religious population of Gem City. Those looking to take part in immoral—or even illegal—activity can borrow someone else’s soul, for a price, and sin without consequence.
To save her brother, Callie needs a borrowed soul, but she doesn’t have anywhere near the money to pay for it. The slimy Soul Charmer is willing to barter, but accepting his offer will force Callie into a dangerous world of magic she isn’t ready for.
With the help of the guarded but undeniably attractive Derek—whose allegiance to the Charmer wavers as his connection to Callie grows—she’ll have to walk a tight line, avoid pissing off the bad guys, all while struggling to determine what her loyalty to her family’s really worth.
Losing her brother isn’t an option. Losing her soul? Maybe.
Five Reasons To Pick Up This Book:
1. Callie Delagado- One of my favorite things about urban fantasy is the variety of heroines you see across the genre. You have badass warriors, powerful magic wielders, and then you have the Callies who are determined average women who do all they can. I had a hard time connecting to Callie at first but I soon came to love her. She's incredibly loyal. Her family is her weakness and she'll do anything to take care of them. I loved that she's imperfect. She knows she is and she doesn't make excuses for her weaknesses. I'm intrigued to see what happens to her as the series progresses.
2. The Family Dynamics- Callie's motto is that you put family first and from the first page you can tell that her family is the most important thing to her. She has spent most of her 22 years of life taking care of her mother and brother who are both manipulative and have used the past to keep Callie their slave. I found the lengths Callie would go to for her family to be intriguing. She's forced into one bad situation after another because of her brother but she never abandons them. I haven't read many books with these kind of family dynamics and I found it kind of awful but refreshing? I have mixed feelings about this obviously.
3. The Worldbuilding- It wouldn't be one of my reviews if I didn't mention worldbuilding, would it? The world in this book is so fascinating! Religion is king and everyone does everything in their power to keep their souls uncompromised. But people still want to do all the fun, sinful stuff. The solution? Borrow a soul so yours stays pristine. Of course things are more complicated than that as we find out. I really loved the world and I can't wait to see it expand in the next books.
4. The Secondary Characters- I'm not going to say much about this point but the secondary characters are awesome in this book. It's a diverse cast and they all have their own motivations and agendas that are slowly revealed throughout the book. Each character isn't purely good or evil and I loved that they were so multi-faceted. I hope we see more of a few of them as the series continues.
5. The Romance- I loved the romance that Mueller wrote. Seriously, the romance is A+ quality romance. It's not slow slow burn but it moves more slowly than some. Derek is an enforcer for the Soul Charmer but under his gruff exterior is a kind and protective sweetheart. I LOVED HIM! I look forward to seeing their relationship grow.
I enjoyed the heck out of Borrowed Souls and can't wait for the next one in the series! Hopefully, I convinced you to go pick this book up. I promise you won't be disappointed if you do.
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss