Friday, April 7, 2017

Really Short Reviews: The Beauty and the Beast Manga!

Before I get into my reviews for these manga volumes, I want to note that the ebooks for both volumes have been released but the physical copies don't go on sale on Amazon until April 25, 2017.


Belle's Tale
(Disney Beauty and the Beast #1)
Mallory Reaves
Release: March 28, 2017
Goodreads Amazon
In Disney's live-action film “Beauty and the Beast,” Belle, a bright, beautiful and independent young woman, is taken prisoner by a beast in his castle. Despite her fears, she befriends the castle's enchanted staff and learns to look beyond the Beast's hideous exterior and realize the kind heart and soul of the true Prince inside. This manga explores Belle's innermost thoughts as she learns that true beauty comes from within.

Review:
I love manga so I was super excited to see one of my favorite stories adapted into the format. I immediately requested it when I saw it on Netgalley.

There really wasn't anything new to the story in this comic but it was a nice blend of the old animated Disney movie and the new live-action adaptation. It covers the entirety of the new film but only from Belle's point-of-view. My favorite thing about this volume was the art. The illustration style was beautiful!

I found this to be an enjoyable read and I was glad that I had the next volume from the Beast's point-of-view to jump into immediately after I finished. If you're looking for a way to get into manga, this series would be a good place to start. I can't wait to buy a copy for my boyfriend's daughter and my godkids!

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

   1/2
  3.5 / 5 Stars




The Beast's Tale
(Disney Beauty and the Beast #2)
Mallory Reaves
Release: March 28, 2017
In Disney's live-action film “Beauty and the Beast,” Belle, a bright, beautiful and independent young woman, is taken prisoner by a beast in his castle. Despite her fears, she befriends the castle's enchanted staff and learns to look beyond the Beast's hideous exterior and realize the kind heart and soul of the true Prince inside. This manga explores the Beast's struggle as he tries to move on from his past and learn what it is to love.

Review:
Like the first volume in this manga series, I enjoyed seeing one of my favorite Disney movies adapted into this format. The art was amazing! The Beast was so beautifully drawn! One of the things I couldn't help but want after finishing this manga is a Beauty and the Beast anime. I would watch the heck out of that!

While this volume follows the movie pretty closely, the unique thing about this was that the story was told from the point-of-view of the Beast. I loved seeing how his thoughts and actions changed through out the story as he fell in love with Belle. It gave a new spin on this classic tale and it makes me sad that we haven't had more books and movies from the Beast's perspective.

I enjoyed this manga series so much! I can't wait to add the physical copy to my collection. It's so beautiful! I would definitely recommend having both volumes on hand so you can read the first and immediately dive into the second one. I hope this manga does well so we can hopefully get more Disney manga adaptations in the future.

ARC provided by the publisher via Netgalley

   
  4 / 5 Stars



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...