Monday, January 25, 2016

Show Me Your . . . Dragons

Show Me Yours is our new discussion post where we ask for your book recommendations on a different subject each month.
    
  
If you're here reading our blog, you're probably a fan of SciFi and Fantasy just like us. You probably enjoy reading about magical creatures just as much as we do. And we can probably all agree that the most awesome magical creature, the king of the cryptids, is the DRAGON.

I can name plenty of books that have a dragon in them. For example, I love the way Seanan McGuire uses them in her Incryptid series. And I loved the dragon scenes in Sorcerer to the Crown. But those are all minor characters.

I've only read two books with a dragon as the main character, Talon by Julie Kagawa and Flight From Death by Yasmine Galenorn. I know there must be more dragon stories out there. So help me out, people! I've even got some suggestions from my co-blogger to get the ball rolling.

Show Me Your Favorite Dragon Heroes


Recs from Rose Red:
One of my favorite dragon shifter series ever is the Dark Kings series by Donna Grant! Scotland and dragons and romance and Fae! What else do you need in a good paranormal romance? I love this series but I should point out that it is a spin-off series set in Grant's Dark World universe. You can read it by itself but it would make a lot more sense if you read it after you've read the Dark Sword and Dark Warriors series first. It says a lot about how much I love these series when I'm 22 books, 1 anthology, and 3 novellas in and I still look forward to each book released in this universe.

One of my favorite dragon main characters is Julius from The Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron! It's one of my favorite urban fantasy series! I adore Julius even though he's not your typical dragon. Actually, he's a terrible dragon. I loved this book so much that I wrote a Read This F@!%ing Book post about it. Dragons. Commercialized magic. A post-apocalyptic magical Detroit. Soul-sucking ghost cats. Pigeon-loving seers. This series has a little bit of everything! I love it so much and I can't recommend it enough!

Uprooted was one of my favorite books of last year and one of the main characters is a Dragon that the local villages sacrifice one of the 17-year old daughters to for protection. It was amazing and really reminded me of the old-school fantasy books by Robin McKinley. It was like reading a new fairy tale. My review for this book can be found here. This is a book that I wish everyone would give a chance. Naomi Novik has also written another dragon series. It's an alternate history that imagines if there were dragons during the Napoleonic Wars. I've only read the first one and I enjoyed it! You can't help but love Temeraire!

Honorable Mentions:
I love dragon books but most of the ones I've read the dragon is one of the main characters but not the main main character. And I've read several where the dragon is a villain. They're still awesome books though and I'd recommend reading them.


What are your favorite Dragon books? Why do you think I should give them a chance?


If you missed last month's Show Me Yours, we'd still like to hear about your favorite Gargoyles.

If you have a genre or topic you'd like to see in a Show Me Yours post, let us know in the comments or send us a Facebook message.



2 comments:

  1. DRAGONS!! I love dragons.

    I loved Nice Dragons Finished Last.

    Also, the Elder Races (which isn't all dragons, but does feature the first couple and leader as a dragon).
    G.A. Aiken's are great too.

    I'll have to try out some of these others. Thanks for sharing.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourites are probably by Katie MacAlister. She has a long running dragon series, although the characters are the same, the name of the series changes. They are a more comedic paranormal romance I would say.

    Start with her Aisling Grey series (the first book is You Slay Me), the dragon is the love interest in this series and it gets quite "steamy".

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...