Monday, February 25, 2013

Read This F@!%ing Book! (7)



Welcome to a feature I'm going to post from on Mondays called:

Read This F@!%ing Book!

This is a feature for me to push my favorite reads that just aren't getting enough attention! 

I'm also opening it up to anyone who would like to guest post. Do you have a book that you just LURVED but feel like its not getting the play it deserves? Email me to let me know and I'd be THRILLED to have you post about it here! Especially if its something I haven't reviewed yet - that's even better (but not necessary)! If you're interested email me:
Goldilox3weres@hotmail.com

Today post comes to us from Jamie at Addicted 2 Heroines.


Read This F@!%ing Book Post 7: 
The Maker's Song series by Adrian Phoenix

(Click cover for Goodreads)
A Rush of Wings (The Maker's Song, #1) In the Blood (The Maker's Song, #2) Beneath the Skin (The Maker's Song, #3) 
Etched in Bone (The Maker's Song, #4) On Midnight Wings (The Maker's Song, #5)

(Click title for Amazon)

Why I Love It:

I love everything about this series. The Maker's Song is definitely a dark urban fantasy featuring all sorts of paranormal goodies and twisted plot lines. I am a sucker for stories set in Louisiana. The Cajun flavored dialogue always drags me into a book. The heroine in this story, Heather Wallace, is a kick ass FBI agent investigating the enigmatic night club owner and rock star, Dante Baptiste. Book one, A Rush of Wings, centers on Heather's FBI investigation of a murder. As the series progresses, we learn much, much more about Dante and his vampire roots, his sexy friend and guardian, Lucian, Heather's troubled past, and the government conspiracy that all the characters are involved in. Twists and turns, betrayal, mind manipulation, complicated mythology, back stories and strong characters make this series one of my favorites.

Why I'm Pushing It:

Each book in this series has increased in reader rating. While the first book is very heavy on world building, the series progresses in a fantastical fashion and becomes more character based. The themes in this series run deep and the characters are complex. There is a love story between Heather and Dante, although it is not the sole focus of the series making this more UF than PNR. Comparable series in tone would be Jocelynn Drake's Dark Days or any hard core UF series. Adrian Phoenix is an under-read and seriously under appreciated author, and unfortunately, has not released a book in this series since 2011 due to health reasons. Book 5, On Midnight Wings, will finally be released this Fall.

DANTE BAPTISTE!!!

I'm not one to usually love the vulnerable, slender, beautiful, Trent Reznor rocker types, but Dante is in a class by himself. When he purrs in his French-Cajun dialect, I can't help but melt into a puddle of fan girl goo! Dante is mesmerizing in his tight leather pants and rubber shirts, singing his heart out with his band and making girls swoon. He is vulnerable, highly intelligent, damaged, loyal and strong - you can't help but root for Dante, especially once you learn about his past. Dante may very well be one of the most complex characters that I have ever read about in urban fantasy.

I highly recommend this series and urge you to stick with it if heavy world building is not your thing. Adrian Phoenix is an extraordinarily talented writer and the story she weaves in The Maker's Song is epic and not to be missed.
@ Addicted to Heroines

Have you read this series? What are your thoughts?
Did Jamie persuade you to add the series to your TBR mountain?
Let us know in the comments below!

This feature has been nominated!
 photo blogBestFeatureNombutton_zps83c16537.jpg


9 comments:

  1. I've read books 1-4, but honestly I'm not sure why. I don't see why Heather is truly interested in Dante. I don't see any chemistry and I don't find the characters really likeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great feature girlies!!! Hi Christen, I've been MIA in grad school not dead lol....This is a great idea, awesome job girls!!!

    P.s. this series sounds fabulous!!! I can't wait to give it a read, you know when I'm not eating, sleeping and breathing text books!! LOL

    Xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you didn't like it Anna. Even when I start out loving a series (like Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim) and it starts to disappoint me, I stop reading it completely, and I always feel guilty when I do.

    I love Heather and Dante (obviously). I have a thing for damaged character and few are more damaged than Dante. The story is intricate so I can see where some might get lost with all the different plot points. I'm going to beg Adrian Phoenix to post a recap of this series to jog our memories before the next book is released!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all the books, but so nervous to start them! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I won books 1-4 at AADNOLA last August. I plan to start the series this year sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing, Jamie!! I have read this series and I have to admit that it was a very hard read in the beginning because of all of the characters. I kept getting confused, but then it all worked itself out in my head. :)
    Lol.
    I love it now, but that cliffhanger is killing me!
    And Dante...oh, his story is heart-breaking and I cannot wait to see what else he can do. I truly hope that she does a recap. I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Tina! It is difficult in the beginning - there is a lot of world building and a TON of characters. A lot of actions occur that don't make sense until later on in the series, so it can definitely be confusing.

      That cliff hanger was brutal, especially with the time span between books. I can't wait for On Midnight Wings :)

      Delete
  7. Never read this - I'll have to check them out thanks!
    Pabkins @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I was about to say yes to this series because, even though I'm not into Dante's type either, the Cajun-French accent almost won me over. Then I read about the rubber shirts. I mean...leather pants--okay. Rubber shirts? I think that may cross a line for me...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...