Sunday, July 31, 2011

First Grave On the Right (Charley Davidson #1) by Darynda Jones






"She's like a hurricane on crystal meth."


Reading First Grave on the Right was like inhaling a big breath of fresh air. Fresh, snarky air. Charley, the grim reaper, is just so ridiculous and funny throughout this book and I thoroughly enjoyed her. She is spunky, sarcastic, and daring - to a fault even.


Without going into the entire plot and its details, let me just say that the above quote well-defines her. She is in a constant state of recovery from this injury or that, all caused by a combination of her steel ovaries and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Because grim reapers can see and communicate with dead people, Charley interacts with the departed often throughout the book and I loved all of these interactions.


"I could be irksome when I put my left ventricle into it."


I also liked that, even though this was what I would call a "lighter" book (as compared to some of the more gritty books I've read recently), the author didn't make it overly silly. Darynda Jones balances Charley's constant quips and occasional goofiness with two good mysteries, one of them being a the story behind a dangerous hottie named Reyes. I was much more interested in his story than the actual mystery focus of the book, but that is only because Reyes is just so darn hot!


Four strong stars for this one, and I can't wait till number two comes out in August!


"That took balls." "Please," I said with a snort, "that took ovaries. Of which I have two."

3 comments:

  1. Lol, you know it's going to be a good book when someone quotes it. I've been wanting to read this series for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on this review. I listened to this book and felt the narrator did a fantastic job of telling this story. It was a lighter book but as you said, not silly, the author still told a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! I haven't gotten to that last quote, but it's a good one.

    I'm listening the audio version of this one, and boy does Charley ever stop? She's constantly wisecracking. I've just gotten to the part where she found where Reyes is, but she hasn't met him in person. I'm a little confused about where everything is going, considering the hot-but-annoying skiptracer. Hoping it's not a love triangle--but it seems like that would have come up in your review...

    ReplyDelete

I love to read comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...